Sunday, September 29, 2013

Medley: 9/29/13

 
(1)
From What Charlie Heard: the Story of the American Composer Charles Ives, by Mordicai Gerstein, Frances Foster Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2002:
 
Charlie grew older and became ill. He had to stop writing music. He and Harmony lived in the country. He had hundreds of pieces of music that had never been performed, all on paper, all silent. Charlie continued to send his music out into the world. But few people had anything encouraging to say.
 
“If only they would open their ears,” he said to Harmony, “they might open their hearts.”
 

 
(2)
Watching the face of one of The Violin Project students while I read this book to them Friday afternoon: I wish I could share with you the concern and intensity with which he listened.
 

 
(3)
 
“’Every one of us has an artist in us,’ he says. ‘Really, some may be asleep and some are fully awake, you know. So I think I have a kind of commitment to waking up some people in whom it is asleep. Teaching—my work is still teaching.’”

 
 

 
(4)
 

 
(5)
It rained this weekend. We were glad.






Subscribe to Dreamer by Email