Sunday, September 4, 2011

Notes from the First Week of School

•Hearing Oldest talk about “My new friend _____,” “The boy next to me in math, who’s starting to be my friend,” is pretty darn awesome.

• I absolutely must keep exercising daily. Letting it drop when I get too sick/exhausted/stressed-out cannot be an option this year. Somebody remind me of this in October. Or next week.

•  It struck me a few weeks ago, after seeing Youngest in action at family camp, that what I’m missing is a full-time staff. She is extremely happy and manageable when surrounded by handsome camp counselors.

• Big picture. Big picture. Big picture. Big picture. Big picture.

• Middle broke my heart this week when she announced, “I hate the way I look. I’m ugly.” I, on the other hand, am in awe of her beauty. I can hear the teen years rumbling in the distance.

• You know those targeted ads you get on the right-hand side of the screen on Facebook? I had to laugh at the one that suggested I consider becoming a Professional Organizer. I’m pretty sure nobody who knows me well would ever pay me to organize their lives. Everything I do seems to involve making a big mess.

• Re: Facebook completely misjudging me: I’m rather pleased that there are ways in which I am un-pin-down-able.

• The week, warts and all, didn’t go too badly. My biggest question right now: can I keep up the pace?

• All three kids like school. This alone is huge. A miracle. I’m clinging to that and trying to take everything else in stride. (Have I given away my idealist/perfectionist tendencies yet?)

• Hope is a really, really powerful thing. And right now I’m feeling extremely hopeful about the school year ahead. Remind me of this in October. Or next week.