Monday, November 23, 2009

Write What You Know

Write about what you know and what you love. I'm starting this blog to do just that--to write about music, education, children's literature, and family, and hopefully to meet you where those things intersect.


I'm a homeschooling mom, violinist, violin teacher and book lover. I'm not very good at making my life about just one thing. Rather, I think all my different interests feed into and off of one another. And I'm sort of a dreamer who wants to connect with other dreamers, through books, music, and whatever else.


A dreamer is a great thing to be, even if it makes everyday life a bit of a challenge. My kids are dreamers, too, each in their own way. Ask any of us what's rattling around in his or her head, and you could get a very long, involved answer. Ask any of us where we left our shoes, or what we just went upstairs to get, and you could very well get a blank look. But there is purpose in all those dreams, and I think part of my job as a parent and as a teacher is to provide new material for children to work into their repertoire. So my goal is to look into ways of doing that, and hopefully we'll all learn something along the way.